Prepare pipes for colder temperatures:
- Insulate pipes that are exposed in the crawl space, garage and attic.
- If heat tape is used, over time it can wear out. Check and replace when necessary.
If your pipes freeze:
- Do not attempt to thaw pipes without turning off the water service shut-off valve.
- Thaw pipes with hair dryer or space heater.
- Do not leave space heaters unattended and avoid use of kerosene heaters or open flames.
When temperatures stay below freezing:
- Allow a small trickle of water to run. The cost of extra water is typically lower than the cost of repairing broken pipe.
- For pipes running through cabinets and vanities, open the door to allow warmer room temperatures in.
If you feel you have a frozen pipe and/or water meter and you need assistance, call the Sallal Water Association during normal business hours (8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday through Thursday, 7:00 am to 3:00 pm Friday).